My wife makes……Sushi from scratch!
(Filling for this roll: smoked salmon, sun dried tomato, rocket, cucumber, spinach and avocado)
I have tried many sushi rice recipes, but this is by far the best one! Multi-textured and packs a flavourful punch. The cucumbers add a nice crunch to the softness of the salmon. Give it a try!
1 Cup Sushi Grade Rice
1 1/3 cups water (for cooking)
– Rinse Rice off about 3 or 4 times, then place in a sieve and let it drain over a bowl for 45 minutes. This step is important!
– Whilst waiting for the rice to drain, prepare sushi seasoning.
– After 45 minutes, add rice and cooking water to a heavy based small pot and bring to the boil.
– The second it boils, cover it and reduce to a simmer. Let cook for 15 minutes exactly. (don’t open the pot….ever!)
– Once 15 minutes is up, turn the stove off and leave the pot covered for 10 minutes.
– Transfer rice to a bowl and pour sushi seasoning in as well. Using a bamboo paddle and a cutting motion, cut the vinegar into the rice whilst turning the bowl around. You need to fan the rice at the same time whilst cutting the vinegar in.
(I use a small table fan for this, but feel free to ask someone to help you with this by hand)
– Once cooled, the rice should be sticky and have absorbed all the sushi seasoning. It is now ready to use! Fill your sushi rolls with whatever the hell you like!
2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Mirin
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons caster sugar
– Combine everything in a small pot and heat very gently till sugar and salt have dissolved.
– Let cool.
Like this recipe? Join our newsletter to receive more of my wife’s FREE recipes, tips, and recommendations – not available elsewhere, not even this blog! No spam, no adverts, only 100% foodie goodness! Unsubscribe any time you want, too. 🙂